After our cup game was cancelled, the Tons men’s first team have arranged a friendly against Estudiantes London rather than face another free weekend.
Our BBC Essex Premier Cup opponents Wakebury pulled out of the competition on Wednesday as they would be unable to raise a team, meaning we get a bye.
So thanks to our old friends Estudiantes who have stepped in to play us on the Stray Dog at Wadham Lodge in Walthamstow.
It’ll be the first men’s first team home game for three weeks, and there’s none for another three weeks, so although it’s not competitive it’s a rare chance to see the Tons in East London.
Our visitors are affiliated to the Argentinian giants Estudiantes De La Plata, famed for ex-players Javier Mascherano and Juan Sebastian Veron and chillingly nicknamed the Rat Stabbers.
The London branch is a team of talented young players from Haringey in full-time education, coached by UEFA qualified coaches.
Clapton CFC vs Estudiantes is on Saturday, October 16 2021 at 2pm at the Stray Dog, Wadham Lodge, Kitchener Road, Walthamstow.
Advanced tickets are not needed, you can just turn up.
Entry as usual is free but with donations on the entrance welcome, with a suggested £2 for waged adults for friendly games.
We are collecting for our charity partners Magpie Project but it’s toiletries only, they can’t accept foodbank donations right now.
There is no food for sale but the Matchday Centres bar will be open.
The pandemic is by no means over and not every adult has had the chance to have both jabs yet. So although the government and FA have scrapped all rules, we are continuing with the safety measures below. We want everyone to feel safe and comfortable.
- If you’re arriving by public transport, a reminder that face masks are still compulsory unless exempt
- Spectators are encouraged to wear face masks indoors, such as when visiting the bar or toilets
- There’s hand sanitiser at the entrance and a QR code for those checking in on the app
- Free NHS lateral flow tests are available if you wish to take a test before the game
- Please follow the signs around the site and instructions from matchday volunteers
- Spread out around the ground as much as you can
Please do not attend if…
- You are ill or have symptoms of Covid-19 (a high temperature, a new, continuous cough or a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste)
- You’ve tested positive for Covid-19 within the last 10 days or someone you live with has symptoms or tested positive
- You’ve been told you’ve been in contact with someone who tested positive by NHS Test and Trace or pinged by the NHS COVID-19 app
- You have arrived from abroad (not including Ireland, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or other parts of the UK) and are within your required quarantine period.
- Wadham Lodge is about 20 minutes walk from Walthamstow Central station. Turn onto Hoe Street and follow the road all the way along (past the junction with The Bell pub) until Chingford Lane. Continue past Sir George Monoux 6th Form College and take the first right onto Brookscroft Road then left onto Kitchener Road.
- You can catch a bus along that route too. The 357, 34, 97, 215 will all take you to the top of Brookscroft Road from Walthamstow Central. It will take about 12 minutes.
- There’s also car parking space available at the ground or on streets nearby.