UPDATE: Today’s men’s team game has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.
The Clapton CFC men’s team are back on the Stray Dog for one game only to take on Cricklewood Wanderers in the league.
The game looked like it would be called off as Walthamstow FC need the stadium pitch for an FA Cup tie, but thankfully we have been able to rearrange.
Due to coronavirus restrictions, we are imposing a 200 capacity on games at the Stray Dog for now, which is also our women’s team’s home, and 300 for Wadham Lodge Stadium.
Obviously it’s a far cry from some of the crowds on that pitch in that mesmerising promotion run in of 2018/19 – 1266 against FC Roast, 804 against London Samurai – so we’ll need you all to bring the noise.
Both Cricklewood and the Tons lost their opening day fixtures, so this game presents a chance for both to get back on track.
Cricklewood Wanderers, who were in second place in 2019/20 when time was called, were formed by a group of young people in 2011.
It is now run by Youth Engagement Solutions (YES), a charity which helps young people in education, employment, training, sport and health.
Our player-manager Geoff Ocran said
One word to summarise Saturday and that was disappointing. First game of the season and in the first half we simply didn’t rise to the occasion.
A reminder to the returning players and an introduction to the new players that every team we play at home will treat it as a cup final. So, every point this season will have to be earned as Saturday wasn’t good enough!
Second half was much better and with a bit of luck we would have turned it around, but we can’t be starting games in that fashion leaving us with a lot to do in the second half. We’ll look to build on the few positives from Saturday and take them into the Cricklewood game.
Big game for us against a team that will be up there on last season’s showing and also a team we failed to beat last season. A great opportunity to get our season up and running with a tough month ahead.
Clapton CFC vs Cricklewood Wanderers is at 2.30pm on Saturday, October 3rd, 2020 at the Stray Dog, Wadham Lodge, Kitchener Road, Walthamstow, E17 4JP.
Due to ongoing Covid-19 restrictions and our efforts to keep games as safe as possible for everyone present, the match will be ticketed with a strict maximum attendance far below our usual average attendance.
If you’re coming, you need to follow our Covid-19 guidelines.
Before the day
- Entry is only by advanced ticket from claptoncfc.co.uk/store
- There will be a maximum of 200 tickets available for this one, with a maximum of four per person.
- The details entered when booking tickets will only be used, if necessary, for NHS Track and Trace.
- Members will be given the opportunity to book first, via the newsletter, before we post on social media. Not a member? Sign up or renew now.
- Entry as usual is free, but with donations welcome. If you wish to donate, you can do so when you book the ticket or in a bucket at the entrance (please bring exact money, no change).
- We will have a list of ticket-holders, but please bring your ticket confirmation with you (particularly your order number) on your phone or printed out.
- Please only book tickets if you are definitely attending the game. If circumstances change and you can’t make it, contact us email@example.com for a refund and so we can resell the ticket to someone else.
On the day
- Do not attend if you have Covid-19 symptoms
- Follow all guidance on travelling and social distancing in getting to Wadham Lodge
- Mask up on public transport and ideally at the ground too, particularly when passing other spectators and if singing
- Kick off is at 2.30pm and gates open at 1.30pm. Remember that entry will take a bit longer so please come earlier than usual.
- Please have your ticket booking number ready (either a print-out or on your phone) so we can tick you off the list.
- We will do no-contact digital thermometer at the entrance, Please sanitise your hands there too.
- There will be QR codes at the entrance for those with the NHS Covid-19 app to check in.
- When you are inside, please make sure you space out 2 metres around the ground. We can’t allow people to congregate in groups outside their own social bubble.
- If you’re closer to 2 metres to someone else, for instance while walking past others. we encourage you to wear a face mask
- Please keep walkways clear so people can walk around the ground easily.
- The Matchday Centre bar won’t be open and they have asked that no alcohol be brought to the game,
- There is no ban on singing, flag waving etc but please be sensible, keep your distance and wear a mask if possible.
- The toilets can be accessed by the side door in the car park – look out for the signs. If you have access issues, you can go up the ramp into the reception instead. You’ll need a mask when indoors.
- Please follow the signs around the ground and instructions from Clapton CFC matchday volunteers on the day. It’s a thankless task and your co-operation will be appreciated.
- The Comms committee will be looking to live stream the game on YouTube for those that can’t make it.
- Wadham Lodge is about 20 minutes walk from Walthamstow Central station. Turn onto Hoe Street and follow the road all the way along (past the junction with The Bell pub) until Chingford Lane. Continue past Sir George Monoux 6th Form College and take the first right onto Brookscroft Road then left onto Kitchener Road.
- You can catch a bus along that route too. The 357, 34, 97, 215 will all take you to the top of Brookscroft Road from Walthamstow Central. It will take about 12 minutes.
- There’s also plenty of car parking space available at the ground.