The Clapton CFC women’s team will look to put penalty shoot-out heartbreak behind them as they return to league action on Sunday, October 25th.
The team played some of their finest football of the season in the cup at Leyton Orient Reserves on Sunday and were unfortunate to lose after powering to a 2-0 lead.
That was behind closed doors – although with a few dozen socially-distanced supporters peering in through the fencing.
Now the Tons will try to replicate that scintillating form at the Stray Dog in our first ever clash with the Brentford first team.
The challenge couldn’t get much tighter as the two clubs finished seventh and eighth in last season’s abandoned table, though never actually met due to postponements.
This season they are are separated only by alphabetical order – both teams having won 3 so far, and with a 6-5 goal difference.
Brentford are cup specialists, too, having knocked Royal Wootton Bassett Ladies, two steps above, out of the FA Cup last month.
Last weekend, they beat Hounslow Reserves in the Capital Women’s Cup while the Tons were suffering that defeat at Mile End Stadium.
The Bees are managed by Karleigh Osborne, who previously played for their men’s team as well as Bristol City, Millwall and Wimbledon.
Watch out for striker Kaitlyn Spencer-Dempsey, who has already bagged seven goals in seven games this season.
Clapton CFC vs Brentford in the Greater London Women’s Football League Premier Division is on Sunday, October 25th 2020, kick off 2pm.
Due to ongoing Covid-19 restrictions and our efforts to keep games as safe as possible for everyone present, the match will be ticketed with a strict maximum attendance
If you’re coming, you need to follow our Covid-19 guidelines.
Before the day
- Entry is only by advanced ticket from claptoncfc.co.uk/store, which will be available for purchase soon.
- Members will be given the opportunity to book first, via the newsletter, before we post on social media. Not a member? Sign up or renew now.
- There will be a maximum of 200 tickets available for this one, with a maximum of four per person.
- The details entered when booking tickets will only be used, if necessary, for NHS Track and Trace.
- Entry as usual is free, but with donations welcome. If you wish to donate, you can do so when you book the ticket or in a bucket at the entrance (please bring exact money, no change).
- We will have a list of ticket-holders, but please bring your ticket confirmation with you (particularly your order number) on your phone or printed out.
- Please only book tickets if you are definitely attending the game. If circumstances change and you can’t make it, contact us email@example.com for a refund and so we can resell the ticket to someone else.
On the day
- Do not attend if you have Covid-19 symptoms
- Follow all guidance on travelling and social distancing in getting to Wadham Lodge
- Mask up on public transport and ideally at the ground too, particularly when passing other spectators and if singing
- Kick off is at 2pm and gates open at 1pm. Remember that entry will take a bit longer so please come earlier than usual.
- Please have your ticket booking number ready (either a print-out or on your phone) so we can tick you off the list.
- There will be QR codes at the entrance for those with the NHS Covid-19 app to check in.
- We will do no-contact digital thermometer at the entrance, Please sanitise your hands there too.
- A mini-programme will be on sale in exchange for a donation, suggested £1, in a collection bucket.
- When you are inside, please make sure you space out 2 metres around the ground. We can’t allow people to congregate in groups outside their own social bubble.
- If you’re closer to 2 metres to someone else, for instance while walking past others. we encourage you to wear a face mask
- Please keep walkways clear so people can walk around the ground easily.
- The Matchday Centre bar won’t be open and they have asked that no alcohol be brought to the game,
- There is no ban on singing, flag waving etc but please be sensible, keep your distance and wear a mask if possible.
- The toilets can be accessed by the side door in the car park – look out for the signs. If you have access issues, you can go up the ramp into the reception instead. You’ll need a mask when indoors.
- Please follow the signs around the ground and instructions from Clapton CFC matchday volunteers on the day. It’s a thankless task and your co-operation will be appreciated.
- The Comms committee will be looking to live stream the game on YouTube for those that can’t make it.
- The Stray Dog is our name for the intermediate pitch at Wadham Lodge
- Wadham Lodge is about 20 minutes walk from Walthamstow Central station. Turn onto Hoe Street and follow the road all the way along (past the junction with The Bell pub) until Chingford Lane. Continue past Sir George Monoux 6th Form College and take the first right onto Brookscroft Road then left onto Kitchener Road.
- You can catch a bus along that route too. The 357, 34, 97, 215 will all take you to the top of Brookscroft Road from Walthamstow Central. It will take about 12 minutes.
- There’s also plenty of car parking space available at the ground.