After our Women’s FA Cup exploits, it’s back to the bread and butter for Clapton CFC’s women’s first team with a first meeting with Headstone Manor.
Note that the venue has been switched to the third grass pitch at Wadham Lodge in Walthamstow after recent downpours left the Stray Dog pitch waterlogged.
Our visitors were founded in 2007 and are now playing at their highest level after being awarded promotion last season.
They finished second in Division 1 North last season – level on points and just goal difference behind title winners Sport London E Benfica. Agonising.
It’s been a decent start to the season, nestled in fourth place so far. They’ve beaten Islington Borough and Walton Casuals Reserves, drawn with Enfield Town Thirds and lost just once, to Comets.
Headstone made their debut in the FA Cup last weekend, coincidentally against Biggleswade United, our opponents in the next round. Having gone 3-0 behind, they clawed it back to 3-2 but just couldn’t find an equaliser.
While this is CCFC’s first game against Headstone Manor, several of the players have faced them before from their AFC Stoke Newington days.
Indeed Emily Link scored in both games between the two in 2018/9, before AFCSN joined Clapton CFC.
That season Headstone won their first piece of silverware when they defeated Comets 2-1 to win the Greater London Womens’ League Trophy.
Headstone, by the way, is a district of Harrow and they play home games at nearby Saddlers Mead Recreation Ground.
Clapton CFC vs Headstone Manor is on Sunday, October 10 2021 at 2pm at Wadham Lodge, Kitchener Road, Walthamstow.
We will be playing the game on the third grass pitch at Wadham Lodge, aka the LRT Sports Ground. It’s only 50 yards away from the car park and we’ll direct you from there.
There is no cover but the forecast is good, so what better way to spend a Sunday than watching Clapton in a park.
Advanced tickets are not needed, you can just turn up. Entry as usual is free but with donations welcome, with a suggested £3 for waged adults.
Before the game, the Young Tons and Akwaaba will play a mixed friendly on the nearby five-a-side pitch, with spectators encouraged.
We are collecting for our charity partners Magpie Project but it’s toiletries only, they can’t accept foodbank donations right now.
We will have a mini programme available for suggested £1 donation. The Matchday Centres bar will be open.
The pandemic is by no means over and not every adult has had the chance to have both jabs yet. So although the government and FA have scrapped all rules, we are continuing with the safety measures below. We want everyone to feel safe and comfortable.
- If you’re arriving by public transport, a reminder that face masks are still compulsory unless exempt
- Spectators are encouraged to wear face masks indoors, such as when visiting the bar or toilets
- There’s hand sanitiser at the entrance and a QR code for those checking in on the app
- Free NHS lateral flow tests are available if you wish to take a test before the game
- You can donate on the day or in advance to reduce cash handling
- Please follow the signs around the site and instructions from matchday volunteers
- Spread out around the ground as much as you can
Please do not attend if…
- You are ill or have symptoms of Covid-19 (a high temperature, a new, continuous cough or a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste)
- You’ve tested positive for Covid-19 within the last 10 days or someone you live with has symptoms or tested positive
- You’ve been told you’ve been in contact with someone who tested positive by NHS Test and Trace or pinged by the NHS COVID-19 app
- You have arrived from abroad (not including Ireland, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or other parts of the UK) and are within your required quarantine period.
- Wadham Lodge is about 20 minutes walk from Walthamstow Central station. Turn onto Hoe Street and follow the road all the way along (past the junction with The Bell pub) until Chingford Lane. Continue past Sir George Monoux 6th Form College and take the first right onto Brookscroft Road then left onto Kitchener Road.
- You can catch a bus along that route too. The 357, 34, 97, 215 will all take you to the top of Brookscroft Road from Walthamstow Central. It will take about 12 minutes.
- There’s also car parking space available at the ground or on streets nearby.