The men’s first team reach the half-way mark in pre-season with a tough game against Catholic United on Saturday, July 17. Get your tickets here.
The Tons have two draws and a defeat so far this summer, although the loss at Barking proved to be the best performance of the three.
Meanwhile Catholic United have played just one friendly so far, a comfortable 5-0 win over Wakering Sports.
The Essex Olympian League Premier Division side need no introduction, having beaten us 5-1 in the Anagram Records Trophy final in 2019.
At the time they were a level higher than us, and although now we’re level, they’re undoubtedly one of the best Step 7 sides around.
Both teams are aiming for promotion to the Eastern Counties Football League so it should be an interesting test of levels.
The Superhoops have been around in one form or another since the 1930s, first as Southend Catholic, then as Catholic Athletic. They took their current guise as Catholic United in 1959 and the green and white hoops kit were a gift from Celtic in 1968.
They now have three Saturday adult men’s teams, three Sunday adult men’s teams, a couple of dozen boys’ teams and their first girls’ team.
Clapton CFC vs Catholic United is on Saturday, July 17 2021 at 4pm at Wadham Lodge 3G, Matchday Centres, Kitchener Road, Walthamstow.
Due to Covid-19 restrictions and our efforts to keep games as safe as possible, the match will be ticketed with a strict maximum of 100.
The 3G pitch at Wadham Lodge has no cover, and you may need to stand outside the cage.
If you’re coming, you need to follow our Covid-19 guidelines.
Before the day
- Entry is only by advanced ticket from the Clapton CFC online store.
- There will be a maximum of 100 tickets available for this one, with a maximum of four per person.
- The details entered when booking tickets will only be used, if necessary, for NHS Track and Trace.
- Entry as usual is free, but with donations welcome. If you wish to donate, you can do so when you book the ticket or in a bucket at the entrance (please bring exact money, no change).
- We will have a list of ticket-holders, but please bring your ticket confirmation with you (particularly your order number) on your phone or printed out.
- If circumstances change and you can’t make the game, contact us email@example.com for a refund and so we can resell the ticket to someone else.
On the day
- Do not attend if you have Covid-19 symptoms
- Follow all guidance on travelling and social distancing in getting to Wadham Lodge
- Please have your ticket order number ready (a print-out, on your phone or memorised) so we can tick you off the list quickly. It should be a five-digit number,
- We will do a no-contact digital thermometer check when you arrive. Please sanitise your hands there too.
- There are QR codes at Wadham Lodge for those with the NHS Covid-19 app to check in.
- As it is a friendly there will be no Clapton CFC matchday programme.
- Please make sure you space out 2 metres around the 3G pitch. Spectators can gather in groups of up to 30 only, so larger numbers can’t all group together
- The toilets can be accessed by the side door in the car park – look out for the signs. If you have access issues, you can go up the ramp into the reception instead. You’ll need a mask when indoors.
- Please follow the signs and instructions from Clapton CFC matchday volunteers on the day. It’s a thankless task and your cooperation will be appreciated.
- Wadham Lodge is about 20 minutes walk from Walthamstow Central station. Turn onto Hoe Street and follow the road all the way along (past the junction with The Bell pub) until Chingford Lane. Continue past Sir George Monoux 6th Form College and take the first right onto Brookscroft Road then left onto Kitchener Road.
- You can catch a bus along that route too. The 357, 34, 97, 215 will all take you to the top of Brookscroft Road from Walthamstow Central. It will take about 12 minutes.
- There’s also plenty of car parking space available at the ground.