Thursday's General Meeting

Thoughts in advance of the General Meeting on Thursday 25th October?

Our main forum section

Topic author
dowdinsk

Thursday's General Meeting

Post by dowdinsk »

Completely understand everyone involved with matchday, membership, finance and merch organising have probably been flat out busy and that this forum is still very new, not very busy as yet and totally public, but can we expect anything in advance on how the General Meeting might run or is it going to be all very free form / find out on the night?

Copwatcher

Re: Thursday's General Meeting

Post by Copwatcher »

The meeting will include:

A discussion on the kind of outreach work and club projects we want to support and fundraise for in the coming year.

An update on our shirt sales and what difference it has made to the club's sustainability

A proposal from the club's Accountability Committee on how we develop meaningful solidarity by holding each other to account for the way we conduct ourselves in running the club.

Proposals from members - send in yours by Tuesday 23 October to secretary@claptoncfc.co.uk (note this is a different email address than previously)

At the start of the meeting, we will also have an open session to allow members to find out more about each of committees and whether you want to get involved in one - we hope that you will.

Topic author
dowdinsk

Post by dowdinsk »

In the email there's an easy-to-ignore button to register on Eventbrite. Are we still allowed in if we ignore that? And is it more helpful somehow if we don't ignore it and do actually register in advance?
Are we supposed to bring our membership cards or anything?

Caminho

Post by Caminho »

I very much doubt that anyone will be turned away! And I certainly didn't bring my membership card.

Topic author
dowdinsk

Post by dowdinsk »

Yeah but you look all official in your badged shirt. I was expecting the chairs to all be arranged in a circle for this consensus based decision making too.

Jason

Post by Jason »

Answering the eventbrite invite helps folk know who and how many are coming. I can't speak for everyone but though I've sung myself hoarse at a few games, this was my voice's first dip into how the club functions and I'm happy to say we were dragged willingly in. If you feel your voice was missed, you likely weren't there but please speak up next time. I've got a good feeling about all of this.

paul_ccfc

Post by paul_ccfc »

I definitely feel we can improve the meetings. particularly to avoid the same people speaking regularly. But it's the first one, we will get better.

Some items for next agenda while I remember: women's team plans, youth team/s plans, FA Charter Standard plans.

Topic author
dowdinsk

Post by dowdinsk »

So what actually happened at the meeting? OK I was actually present so to some extent I'm in the know, but I do wonder whether those of our 900+ members who couldn't be physically present might be just a little curious?

The general meeting was announced in Clapton CFC Newsletter 15, and then later there came an email to the membership from The Board - 'Members Meeting - 25 Oct 2018' but there's been little news of what took pace as yet.

I started this thread both lamenting the burnout from the demands arising from the shirt sales that seemed to be placing a strain beyond our current capacity, and thinking there might actually be some discussion in advance of the evening itself - proposals circulated in advance, that sort of thing.

The evening started with breakouts into the committees, perhaps a bit like a Trotskyist recruitment exercise for any present not active in one or more already, or maybe wanting to demand answers from a different committee, I don't know? (I'm part of Team Brambles, aka Grounds Maintenance, btw)

After that we all came together for the general meeting only then to have first sight of a three page printout of various proposals that had been submitted in advance:
· Most were agreed unanimously.
· One on shirt sponsorship had a single vote of dissent, but for me the takeaway from that discussion was that there'd been a first general meeting back in June. (I'm only a member since July)
· Two proposals from a member in Spain requesting the videoing of games and of the general meeting were referred to the Comms committee. Hopefully the proposer will have been informed of this outcome?

There wasn't really any time left for proposals from the floor.

Since the meeting there've only been a couple of tweets and retweets:
·
·
·
I'm not on F£$%book so I can't say what's been on there.
There's been nothing on the website.
But I was thrown onto a Telegram group called Banter last weekend until I flounced so I'm aware there's been some hand-wringing going on in the background.
Today in Clapton CFC Newsletter - Issue 16 there's a bit about joining the First Team committee, and mention of "the recent mixer session after the members general meeting" which I didn't understand.

Can members perhaps expect another missive from The Board I wonder? :?

[edits, 29/11/2018:
"perhaps a bit" emboldened, as that comment seems to have been felt to be controversial

and it appears the minutes are forthcoming, which is appreciated

]
Last edited by dowdinsk on 29 Nov 2018, 12:05, edited 1 time in total.

admin_ccfc
Site Admin

Post by admin_ccfc »

dowdinsk wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 22:18 So what actually happened at the meeting? OK I was actually present so to some extent I'm in the know, but I do wonder whether those of our 900+ members who couldn't be physically present might be just a little curious?

The general meeting was announced in Clapton CFC Newsletter 15, and then later there came an email to the membership from The Board - 'Members Meeting - 25 Oct 2018' but there's been little news of what took pace as yet.

I started this thread both lamenting the burnout from the demands arising from the shirt sales that seemed to be placing a strain beyond our current capacity, and thinking there might actually be some discussion in advance of the evening itself - proposals circulated in advance, that sort of thing.

The evening started with breakouts into the committees, perhaps a bit like a Trotskyist recruitment exercise for any present not active in one or more already, or maybe wanting to demand answers from a different committee, I don't know? (I'm part of Team Brambles, aka Grounds Maintenance, btw)

After that we all came together for the general meeting only then to have first sight of a three page printout of various proposals that had been submitted in advance:
· One on shirt sponsorship had a single vote of dissent, but for me the takeaway from that discussion was that there'd been a first general meeting back in June. (I'm only a member since July)
· Two proposals from a member in Spain requesting the videoing of games and of the general meeting were referred to the Comms committee. Hopefully the proposer will have been informed of this outcome?

·
·
·
But I was thrown onto a Telegram group called Banter last weekend until I flounced so I'm aware there's been some hand-wringing going on in the background.
Today in Clapton CFC Newsletter - Issue 16 there's a bit about joining the First Team committee, and mention of "the recent mixer session after the members general meeting" which I didn't understand.

Maybe the board will send minutes to the members?
It could be a good idea.

Thanks for the post, it's good to analyse and have a second thought on stuff we do. For me personally it's still a learning process on a lot of things! ;)

paul_ccfc

Post by paul_ccfc »

dowdinsk wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 22:18 So what actually happened at the meeting? OK I was actually present so to some extent I'm in the know, but I do wonder whether those of our 900+ members who couldn't be physically present might be just a little curious?

·
·
·

As far as I know it's the Board's job to host general meeting and issue any minutes, assuming they are doing so. The tweets from the meeting from Comms (of which I'm a member) were just to give a general idea that the meeting is happening rather than go into specifics. If there is demand and agreement, Comms could write a report on the next meeting, and / or tweet more during the meetings. We have already been asked to look at live-streaming as you mention.

It was me that described the 'meet the committees breakout' as a 'mixer session' in the newsletter. It's the same thing as what you described as a 'Trotskyist recruitment exercise'. Basically you didn't miss anything. just my description. And First Team still needs members!

Regarding Telegram, many of the committees use this to organise. Others use WhatsApp. There is also a Telegram group chat for non-serious Clapton CFC and completely unrelated chat, called Banter. Anyone who is a CCFC member is welcome to join this. Drop me a PM and I can get admin to add you.